Wednesday, August 25, 2010



Nabokov thinks that a good reader is one who has a combination of artistic and scientific outlook when reading a book. He believes that a good reader should remain somewhat "aloof" from what he or she is reading. The idea behind this is that the reader can fully enjoy the novel that he or she is reading. The reason for this, or so Nabokov believes, is that if you are thinking about how you relate to the story or how you have seen what the writer is trying to "paint" before, you are missing out on how the writer wants you to view it and are instead creating what you have already seen in your mind and applying it to what you are reading. Nabokov believes that this is an insult to the writer, because if you create your own picture then you are missing out on the whole point of reading the novel, and that is to see something new.

I agree partially with Nabokov because it is good to be lost in a new world of a book. At the same time though it is comforting to some people to recognize something and be able to see themselves in that situation. This is good because this does give the reader a feeling of friendship with the author, as in he or she knows what they are going through or what they have been through. I don't think you should do this all the time because I do believe that it's good for a reader to be able to be lost in a book that is totally fresh and new.

I consider myself an average reader because I will admit (to Nabokov's despise) that I don't pay attention to details sometimes and I get rather bored with them if the book is just explaining how something looks or if the author takes the time to really tell you the tone of the scene. But, at the same time I do enjoy some details in books, I guess it just depends on how much detail or what the detail is trying to describe that gets me. I do enjoy all dialogue between characters because I do find that hard to get bored with. It's always intriguing to me to see and understand a character in a book. It's like meeting a new person and then being able to understand them more deeply and look deeper and deeper into them without it being awkward. It might be awkward in real life if you were to just pause and ask the person to repeat what they just said so you could understand them better, like you would re-read a line in a book to get the full meaning. So I guess I would rate myself a seven out of ten, I consider myself an above average reader.







Image cite-http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/46263-004-A74F04C5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic-art/401299/79745/Vladimir-Nabokov-1968&usg=__b_ylN_Ja5NtOO8Bf2V-eOFaQMoA=&h=450&w=346&sz=29&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=pLNMhOhU2W_YDM:&tbnh=161&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3DNabokov%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D944%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=261&vpy=99&dur=9&hovh=256&hovw=197&tx=96&ty=144&ei=IY11TN7dCYP68AabxpX3BQ&oei=IY11TN7dCYP68AabxpX3BQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

No comments:

Post a Comment